The Box Office
An online diary of the movies that matter, as I see them,explained and explicated daily (hopefully), at least weekly, and hopefully never weakly.
ElectricMovies Diary bloghome | contact

ElectricMovies Links
AllThingsMike, perhaps the only website you'll ever need!
ElectricMovies
Movie Reviews Blog
Coming Soon
In Theaters
The DVD Section
"Moulin Rouge" ElectricMovies Best Film of 2001
"Gangs of New York" ElectricMovies Best Film of 2002
Movie Reviews by Michael F. Nyiri
MilkPlus, A Discussion of Film
Images retreived from Internet Movie Database
Diary Vaults

:: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 ::

1. "Pirates of Perserverance, Part II" I just saw my Tivo'd copy of Ebert and Roepper from two weeks ago, with their Pirates review, Ebert loved Depp's performance, gave a nod to Geoffrey Rush's over the top acting, and gave it thumbs up. I never pay particular attention to Roepper. No, he gave it thumbs down, I do believe, and thought the "swashbuckling" went on forever. I'm just so sure I'm going to love this movie. This weekend I'll be going for sure. Still probably will want to see Ahnold before he goes straight to DVD, too.

Last night I pulled out a laserdisc title I didn't remember I had. The Coen's "The Hudsucker Proxy" from 1994. A few weeks ago, I had rented their excellent "Miller's Crossing" from Netflix, and asked my roommate:"What do you think is the quintessential Coen Brothers film BESIDES "Fargo". His pick was "Blood Simple". Mine is "Miller's". But I had forgotten ("Sure, sure") just how inventive, funny, and well made "Hudsucker's" is. Besides wonderful turns by Tim Robbins as Norville Barnes ("You know....for kids"), and Paul Newman as Vice President Sidney Mussburger ("Yeah, yeah"), plus would be Muncie girl but actually hard bitten career girl reporter Rosalind er', I mean, Jennifer Jason Leigh as Amy Archer ("Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."), there is an angelic performance by Charles Durning, who exits the movie (almost) in the first scene, and Charles Buscemi, Peter Gallagher, and Bruce Cambell put in appearances. I was surprised a few weeks ago when a friend told me Sam Raimi had a hand in the film, co-writing the thirties screwball /fast talking newsroom/boardroom comedy along with Joel and Ethan. This was post Sonnenfeld, and I was equally surprised to find that Roger Deakins had done the cinematography.

I don't know how many other laserdiscs I still have in virgin shrink wrap. I picked up a lot at bargain prices at Ken Crane's when they became DVD Planet. Just as I had picked up scads of CEDs and Beta tapes when those formats went bust. One thing about my love of the movies. I used to love to say "I own it" when talking about a title in my CED library so long ago. When you own these films that mean so much, repeat viewings are always a treat. And even though the laserdisc format was analog (albeit with digital sound) I remember thinking that DVD's would never be as good. Now, of course, when I see a particularly pleasing film on either laser or Tivo, and "really want to see it" on HDTV, of course I rent it at Netflix, and see it in an even better shape. My Hudsucker's laserdisc, fresh out of the shrinkwrap, and a relatively new title when offered, I believe, has a fairly sharp picture. The transfer was pretty good, so I don't need to rent the DVD just now. Over on the IMDB site, I noticed that a lot of people treasure "Hudsucker's Proxy". I didn't think it particularly "worthy" when I first saw it. Normally, a Coen brothers film release is a must see for me. I think they are incapable of turning out a bad film, although their low points for me are (and I'm sure many will disagree) "Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou" and " Barton Fink". "Miller's" is a masterpiece, and "Hudsucker" made me guffaw with pleasure. At the end, when Bill Cobb's "Moses the Clock Man" mentions that someone once tried to jump off the 45th floor of the Hudsucker building....but....that's another story..." I began laughing out loud....as, of course, does the Clock Man.
"Hudsucker Proxy" is the story of big business, big scams, and big disappointments, salvaged by big breaks and big dreams. The script is excellent. The wordplay between the actors, especially any repartee involving Leigh's Kate Hepburn affectations or Newman's gruff stoicism is giddy. Tim Robbins is just Jimmy Stewartish enough in his role without being cloying or annoying. I don't believe "Hudsucker's" is mentioned too much in the Coen's canon, but it should be. An excellent "thirties screwball comedy" as would have been directed by Billy Wilder or Preston Sturges. Sure, Sure. Yeah, yeah. You know.....for kids......!!!

:: Michael Nyiri 6:44 PM Leave a Comment on this Post ::
...
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?