The Box Office
An online diary of the movies that matter, as I see them,explained and explicated daily (hopefully), at least weekly, and hopefully never weakly.
ElectricMovies Diary bloghome | contact

ElectricMovies Links
AllThingsMike, perhaps the only website you'll ever need!
ElectricMovies
Movie Reviews Blog
Coming Soon
In Theaters
The DVD Section
"Moulin Rouge" ElectricMovies Best Film of 2001
"Gangs of New York" ElectricMovies Best Film of 2002
Movie Reviews by Michael F. Nyiri
MilkPlus, A Discussion of Film
Images retreived from Internet Movie Database
Diary Vaults

:: Thursday, August 07, 2003 ::

Finally got around to watching "K-19:The Widowmaker' (2002), which I didn't much care to see, really, thinking, 1. It's "another" submarine movie, and 2. Am I going to believe Liam Neeson and Harrison Ford as Russians. Well, I didn't realize it was directed by Katheryn Bigelow, whom I admire, and whose Near Dark (the rockabilly vampire movie), "Blue Steel", "Wild Palms" TV miniseries, and recent "The Weight of Water" are all films I admire. The good news about "K-19"? It's a darn good adventure film, and is probably second only to Wolfgang Petersen's "Das Boot" (1981) which is the benchmark submarine movie of all time. "K-19" gets an 8 of 10 on the Mikometer, and is truly a movie that matters. I trust viewers will have no problem with any of the castmembers. I found both Harrison Ford and Liam Neeson's acting to be commendable. I believed in and cared about these characters, and the film treats the heroism and the humanity of all involved with bravura and panache. I love movies with a fine attention to detail, and this one certainly qualifies. Plot is about the maiden voyage of the K-19, a Soviet super sub, powered by nuclear reactors, and the miscalculations and ultimately heroic acts which mark the voyage. A must see. I'm always astounded when I finally see a film I didn't care to, and it turns out to be so good.
:: Michael Nyiri 4:15 AM Leave a Comment on this Post ::
...
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?