The Box Office
An online diary of the movies that matter, as I see them,explained and explicated daily (hopefully), at least weekly, and hopefully never weakly.
ElectricMovies Diary bloghome | contact

ElectricMovies Links
AllThingsMike, perhaps the only website you'll ever need!
ElectricMovies
Movie Reviews Blog
Coming Soon
In Theaters
The DVD Section
"Moulin Rouge" ElectricMovies Best Film of 2001
"Gangs of New York" ElectricMovies Best Film of 2002
Movie Reviews by Michael F. Nyiri
MilkPlus, A Discussion of Film
Images retreived from Internet Movie Database
Diary Vaults

:: Saturday, October 25, 2003 ::

The DVD versions of all three Indiana Jones movies are out, in a box set, and I have no money. But.... a friend purchased the set, and I was able to catch both "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" on my HDTV. I'll have to wait a while for "Last Crusade" and the extras disc. I haven't seen "Raiders" in years, and haven't seen the film in it's full widescreen glory since 1981 in the theater. I had a CED videodisc, which was non-box, and the letterboxed versions of the first two films never came out on laserdisc, so these DVD's are something special, and films I certainly will want to own. Because my friend wanted to see "Temple of Doom" on my HDTV, and had already watched "Raiders", I saw this first, before seeing "Raiders". It might seem that this is out of sequence, but "Temple of Doom" is set a couple of years before the first film, so it makes perfect sense from a timeline perspective.
I still don't like the shrill performance of Kate Capshaw, but this time around I noticed (especially with "Kill Bill" still in recent memory) that the "gruesome" stuff in "Doom" which garnered it the first PG-13 rating in filmdom now seems tame. Somehow in memory, I got the "monkey brains" scene mixed up with real footage featured on the "Faces of Death" series on video, and the footage in "Doom" is fairly tame. I still think "Raiders" is the quintessential entry in the series, and it is still, after all these years, a grand hoot to watch. Karen Allen is delightful as a Hawksian babe with as much moxie as Jones, and I couldn't get over how young Harrison Ford is in the film, which to me, seems like it just came out yesterday.
I'm looking forward to "Crusade", with an excellent turn by Sean Connery as Indy's dad, and to the extras disc.
I understand a box set of Looney Tunes is scheduled for next week, and I missed the original boxed laserdisc set of the classic Tunes so can hardly wait for this release as well.
:: Michael Nyiri 6:00 PM Leave a Comment on this Post ::
...
Comments:
Ι really lovе your blog.. Great colors & theme.
Did уou makе thіs web site yourself? Pleаse rерly
back as I'm trying to create my very own site and want to know where you got this from or exactly what the theme is called. Kudos!

Here is my weblog: reputation management
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?