The Box Office
An online diary of the movies that matter, as I see them,explained and explicated daily (hopefully), at least weekly, and hopefully never weakly.
ElectricMovies Diary bloghome | contact

ElectricMovies Links
AllThingsMike, perhaps the only website you'll ever need!
ElectricMovies
Movie Reviews Blog
Coming Soon
In Theaters
The DVD Section
"Moulin Rouge" ElectricMovies Best Film of 2001
"Gangs of New York" ElectricMovies Best Film of 2002
Movie Reviews by Michael F. Nyiri
MilkPlus, A Discussion of Film
Images retreived from Internet Movie Database
Diary Vaults

:: Sunday, October 19, 2003 ::

There is no justice. "Mystic River" nationwide at 5th place. The remake of Tobe's "Chainsaw Massacre", which was lambasted by critics, and which I just do not even care to mention is No. 1? "Kill Bill" should have at least spent a second week in the top spot. I can't fathom why movies like "Dreamcatcher" disappear, and remakes of classic films can get a number one spot. Shows that, besides being no justice, people have no sense when it comes to picking product upon which to waste $7.50 (I go to matinees, I know it's closer to ten bucks at night, even worse logic.)
I will cry tonight for the moviegoing public. At least Jack Black's starrer (and the Richard Linklater directed) "School of Rock" is holding in there. I've got this one on my list of want to sees but probably won't get to see it in a theater.
Speaking of the senseless moviegoing public, I rented one of my favorite romantic comedies of the past few months, Peyton Reed's "Down With Love" and watched it the all important second time last night. This was snubbed at the B.O. and is one of the most deservedly comical and interesting pieces of filmed product offered in 2003. The DVD is a must have, lots of neat extras, and the full screen "video" version of the "Up with Love" musical number from the end credits. Renee seemed anorexic to me in "Chicago" but I fell in love with her all over again in her homage to Doris Day. Ewan McGregor proves he's a leading man for the ages, and the direction, production design, costumes, pacing, is all a wonder to behold. Why didn't "Down With Love" prove a hit, at least in it's first weekend, like "Chainsaw" remake did this week?. Well, for one, it came out during the summer of sequels and had the misfortune of being original. Two, Hallowe'en is coming up, and the "kids" like the horror movies. I don't know of course, not having seen (or having cared to see) the remake of "Chainsaw." I just rented the remake of "Willard" with Crispin Glover, and when I saw the picture of his character's "father", Bruce Davison, whom of course was in the original "Willard" , plus the set design and atmosphere, I know it will be fun to watch. But no one saw it, as I remember.
"Chainsaw" got 29mil. I'm upset. "Mystic River" is art. "Chainsaw" is probably wallpaper.
Oh Well.
I added a link to the left under the links for my other sites. The webmaster of a discussion group for movies called "MilkPlus" (after a drink in Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" which I remember seeing in Hollywood a long time ago, and which remains one of Kubrick's masterpieces and a damn fine rollercoaster of a film.) asked to exchange links. I haven't done that with the Electric Movies site, so thought I'd give it a try. I'll see if my link is added to that site, probably along with a million other movie blogs. But it's a start. I won't get readers if I don't actively begin promoting and link exchanges did work in the past, so I'll try to get past my skepticism and look at this as a positive step toward said readership.
Also I fully intend on keeping up the posts now. I've got the HDTV, computer, record player, receiver, and digital camera all hooked up. Soon, the capability I've always dreamed about concerning instantly adding images from my collection of movies to the computer will be complete. The scanner went on the blink, but I rarely use it.
Let me hope, dear Electric Movies Diary, that I will begin to post more incisive insights as to why I watch so many movies, again and again, and try to remember to post on this blog the reasons as they hit me.
Ciao. For Now.

:: Michael Nyiri 1:42 PM Leave a Comment on this Post ::
...
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?