The Box Office
An online diary of the movies that matter, as I see them,explained and explicated daily (hopefully), at least weekly, and hopefully never weakly.
ElectricMovies Diary bloghome | contact

ElectricMovies Links
AllThingsMike, perhaps the only website you'll ever need!
ElectricMovies
Movie Reviews Blog
Coming Soon
In Theaters
The DVD Section
"Moulin Rouge" ElectricMovies Best Film of 2001
"Gangs of New York" ElectricMovies Best Film of 2002
Movie Reviews by Michael F. Nyiri
MilkPlus, A Discussion of Film
Images retreived from Internet Movie Database
Diary Vaults

:: Sunday, December 28, 2003 ::


Hank and Frannie have been together for five years. Co-habiting in a Las Vegas "fixer-upper", their fifth year anniversary (on the Fourth of July) begins with both partners questioning their choices. An argument ensues, and each chases his fantasy romantic dream, complete with dazzling setpieces imaginatively shot completely on soundstages and music and lyrics from Tom Waits and Crystal Gayle.
In 1982, when director/mastermind Francis Ford Coppola released his avowed favorite movie, "One From the Heart", nobody much seemed interested in his lavishly produced valentine to the musical comedy form, utilizing technical knowhow and some beautiful music, not to mention stellar acting from Frederick Forrest as Hank, Teri Garr as Frannie, and Harry Dean Stanton and Lainie Kazan as their friends and Raul Julia and Nastassia Kinski as their romantic fantasy lovers. Now that the DVD is soon to be released on January 27th. the movie has been re-released in theaters and I got to see it at the Nuart in Santa Monica. Although I have a personal quibble in that the re-edited version cuts what I think is one of the best lines, Teri Garr's "I'm walking. Look at me go." and doesn't finish the first traveling shot into the travel agency from the window display, as I say, I'm merely quibbling. The movie is back, it's on the "big screen", and will soon be in my DVD collection, complete with some commentary by Baz Luhrrman, I understand, who was inspired by "One From the Heart" in making "Moulin Rouge". Here is the link to the official site.


"One From the Heart" has always been one of my personal favorite films for years, and I have regretted for years losing my CED collection, where it lived for many of those years. A laserdisc was never issued, and I understand Francis himself pulled it from theaters after suffering a broken heart when nobody saw it. Sadly, the early show I saw on Saturday, one day after it's opening at the Nuart, only had six or seven patrons. I hope that there are more like me who think of this film as true artistic endeavor, to be lavished upon and experienced more than once, like a favorite album. The DVD has lots of extras, unlike the DVD of "Phantom of the Paradise" which I was so disappointed in I didn't even buy yet, even though it, like "Heart" is a favorite musical from a director whose name doesn't usually come to mind when thinking about the form.
:: Michael Nyiri 12:32 PM Leave a Comment on this Post ::
...
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?