The Box Office
An online diary of the movies that matter, as I see them,explained and explicated daily (hopefully), at least weekly, and hopefully never weakly.
ElectricMovies Diary bloghome | contact

ElectricMovies Links
AllThingsMike, perhaps the only website you'll ever need!
ElectricMovies
Movie Reviews Blog
Coming Soon
In Theaters
The DVD Section
"Moulin Rouge" ElectricMovies Best Film of 2001
"Gangs of New York" ElectricMovies Best Film of 2002
Movie Reviews by Michael F. Nyiri
MilkPlus, A Discussion of Film
Images retreived from Internet Movie Database
Diary Vaults

:: Saturday, December 20, 2003 ::

"The Lord of the Rings" trilogy comes to a close (too soon, I might add) with the anticipated release of "Return of the King".

10 of 10 on the Mikometer.
My pick for Best Picture of 2003. Andy Serkis should be nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his "interpretation" of Smeagol/Gollum.
This is truly a "crowning acheivement" for director Peter Jackson, and the Academy should honor him for his efforts. If not Best Director, then at least give this the Best Picture nod.
(Perhaps it will get a Globe?)
I sat transfixed, even though not a true Ringophile (?) through the conclusion of this epic tale. Posh on the folks who credit the sweep and epic filmmaking ahead of the acting. When Sean Astin as Samwise Gamgee enters the room where Elijah Wood's Frodo is putting the finishing touches on the "books", my tear ducts opened wide. I care for these hobbits, elves, dwarves, humans, and wizards, just as openly as in any humane piece of work. A triumph. A wonder. I've begun watching this "true trilogy" again, by taking out the extended versions of the DVD's and starting from the beginning all over again.
I wish the Academy would listen to me this time. Yes, "Mystic River" was my first favorite, and "Seabiscuit" is a wonderful time at the movies. But Clint Eastwood has his Oscar, and nothing compares to LOTR:ROTK as true "literate" film-making. In 1939, when dozens of great films competed for Best Picture during what has consequently been considered one of the most artistically drenched years in movie history, the Academy Award went to "Gone With the Wind" , a very popular movie based on a very popular book. To this day, the film, one of my personal favorites since I saw one of the reissues as a child in the theater, has endured as one of the greats of all time, and most people agree on it's status. GWTW usually comes in at around Number 3 on almost everyone's list of "best films".
This year, when there haven't been a lot of earthshakingly great films, even though some of the year end crop weigh in pretty heavily, I feel the Oscar should go to Jackson and ROTK. The end of one of the most amazing tales in the history of filmmaking, how a director with a dream fulfills his vision of filming all three of the films at once, ensuring that the vision is not hampered over time. As it is, the "journey" to make the films took seven years. I feel exhausted just thinking about the project.
Yes, I love Clint Eastwood, and since he is aging, my first inkling was that I would champion "Mystic River". Although there are still a few front runners I haven't seen, I don't know if I will think any of them compares with ROTK as my choice. For the past three years, my "losing streak" has made me feel out of touch with the Academy, even though I took pride in my "winning streak" in previous years.
This year I won't predict I will be right.
But Andy Serkis for Supporting Actor, issuing in a new era where a "digital role" would be nominated. (I don't expect him to win, but a nomination would be nice. I'd like him to win!) And "Return of the King" for Best Picture. Best Director to Peter Jackson.
:: Michael Nyiri 6:23 PM Leave a Comment on this Post ::
...
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?