The Box Office
An online diary of the movies that matter, as I see them,explained and explicated daily (hopefully), at least weekly, and hopefully never weakly.
ElectricMovies Diary bloghome | contact

ElectricMovies Links
AllThingsMike, perhaps the only website you'll ever need!
ElectricMovies
Movie Reviews Blog
Coming Soon
In Theaters
The DVD Section
"Moulin Rouge" ElectricMovies Best Film of 2001
"Gangs of New York" ElectricMovies Best Film of 2002
Movie Reviews by Michael F. Nyiri
MilkPlus, A Discussion of Film
Images retreived from Internet Movie Database
Diary Vaults

:: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 ::

The Globe went to: "Lord of the Rings:Return of the King". Is it too early to think I might have chosen the oscar winner this year after three misses???? I won't venture a guess. Not this early. The nominations were just announced.
Picture: "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING", (my choice. Now to write the "big article" for the website. Peter Jackson's greatest hour.) "LOST IN TRANSLATION", (I kinda thought this was the best of the year so far when I saw it a long time ago. It still holds up, and got the Globe for comedy/musical.) "MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD", (This one shouldn't have received so many nominations. A good film, but I still have to see this one again. It didn't impress me as much as, say, the TV miniseries with Kenneth Branagh about the Endeavor in Antarctica.) "MYSTIC RIVER", (My first real favorite this year, but like "LA Confidential", when it was up against "Titanic", the other movie is my favorite to win, even though I admire both. "SEABISCUIT" (I'm glad this early gem is included. A worthy pick.)
Of course this means "Cold Mountain" was shut out this year. It gets noms for Best Supporting Actress in Renee Zellweger, who won a Globe, and is my favorite for the supporting category. It also got a cinematography nom, but not much else. The surprise is Keisha Castle-Hughes for "Whale Rider" as actress instead of Nicole Kidman, but Nicole has been an Oscar staple for a while, and she won already. I'm very upset that since "Lost in Translation" is all over the noms, that Scarlett Johannsen is absent from both actress or supporting actress. Best Actor: I'm still bucking for Sean Penn, who got the Globe. I'm glad to see Dimon Hounsou as a supporting nom although I haven't seen "In America" yet. Tim Robbins, who was also nominated, got the Globe.
I think I 'm most surprised at the amount of noms given to "Master and Commander" but the academy loves Russell Crowe. They gave him an Oscar for "Gladiator". They gave best pic to "Gladiator".
Another disappointment. Neither "Millennium Actress" nor "Tokyo Godfathers", the two films by Satoshi Kon, were nominated for Animated Feature. We know "Finding Nemo" will get the award, but I find it very disappointing that Kon was shut out. I haven't seen "Godfathers" but "Actress" is not only great anime, it is a wonderful movie. I still have to see "Monster" for Charlize Theron's performance.
:: Michael Nyiri 6:57 AM Leave a Comment on this Post ::
...
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?